Saturday, June 7, 2008

A ticket in Iraq

Well I'm sorry, but today I don't have any pictures. I would, however, like to share with you a few things that have happened in the last few days. First I would like to talk about where I live, it kind of looks like a huge trailer park, with all the trailers connected. The rooms are in groups of ten and they are labeled by letter for each group, so F1-f10. I live in the B's and the F's are the closest ones to the hospital, so every morning the trudge home seems endless. Well the other morning I was walking home and I was about next to the D's, and of course I look up at the doors all the time to see how much further I have to go. Well I was tired because it was after my 12 hour shift, and I started to think about the alphabet backwards. I realized that it would take me a long time to say the alphabet backwards out loud, because in my head I would be thinking it forward to the next letter and so on all the way down the alphabet. Well you know how cops always do the feild sobriety tests? I was thinking if they have me stand on one foot and saying the alphabet backwards I am going to be in big trouble because I have very little balance as well. So even though I would never drive while intoxicated, because I think its stupid and reckless, I would probably get dragged in for failing the field sobriety test.
Now I told you that little mind wandering story to tell you this one. We were headed toward chow last night and here on this installation we have rule that after dark we have to wear a reflective belt. Well some of the people that were with us had forgotten theirs and we got pulled over by a marine on foot! Yes we were talking about it later and were wondering what they would have done if we had run. Do you think they carry a little siren with them to run people down with? I will tell you what they did have, they had a little blinking light, just like a real cop with his flashing light. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha. I love that story. Barney Fife would LOVE a light like that. He was always telling people to break it up. They were congregating illegally.

So, what happen to the person that didn't have their belt on? Did they get a ticket? Or thrown in a cell with Otis?

:>)

YR

Trisha said...

Hey - I have often thought about the whole backwards alphabet too! I would never, never drive while intoxicated (I don't even drink) but, they could sure get me with that whole backwards alphabet thing! How many people can do that sober???

So your group got pulled over by a guy on foot with a flashing light? Where is the light? On his belt? Is his belt reflective AND flashing?

Ness said...

I'm not sure I could even do a backwards alphabet! I'm not sure you can even answer this but does your hospital get our injured soldiers first and then they are transferred to other hospitals in the States or Germany or wherever? I so want all of this to be over and all of you to be back home! Take care and you are in my constant prayers.

Lauren said...

Our patients often get transferred to Germany if they are bad enough. But most of the time we keep them until they are will enough to go back to duty

Ellyn said...

You are a hoot with your crazy mind wandering.
I think they should have to put the lights on top of thier head like on the top of police cars. It only makes sense.
Love ya!!

Kay said...

Hi, Lauren! I love reading your posts. I'm glad you are ad funny and positive as ever. I miss you very much. Stay safe and healthy.
Love, Other Mom

Weezee said...

I just have this picture of the scene... alright soldiers pull over there on the path.
Thank you, may I see your ids please? Thank you. Alright what we have here is your classic non belt wearing citation....LOL. You are a hoot!

Lauren said...

They did have to show their ID's and they got a ticket!