Monday, June 2, 2008

We don't know

As you may know if you got here from my mother's blog, I am a medic in the Army. We are covering a hospital here and I work nights in an intensive care ward. It is a pretty good job so far. What I have failed to mention is that this hospital, while run by the Army, isn't an Army hospital, but rather a Marine hospital. And, as we all know Marines are crazy - sorry to all you Marines that are normal out there. What I mean by crazy isn't really all that insulting with my definition. Crazy: They want to make sure that every regulation, and Marine code of whatever is followed to the "T" with no exceptions. We decided to look up their rank structure, so that we too and can do the right thing and call everyone by their proper rank. That way no one is annoyed or insulted during their stay in our hospital. We don't have a printer though, so Jen drew their ranks.If you know anything about Army ranks you may notice that the majority of these look much like ours. If you don't know anything about Army ranks I can tell you that the majority of these look much like Army ranks. Although they do call them something different for a lot of them. It also says on there that the officer ranks are the same; what that means is Marine officer ranks and Army officer ranks are identical.
As some of you may know Marines and Navy guys hang out a lot togethe - wherever the Marines go there are always a few Navy guys to go with them, because Marines don't have as many jobs as Navy guys. In other words not all the bases are covered by one branch. So we decided to go ahead and learn the Navy ranks too, so that we could be good soldiers. Little did we know the difficulty of undertaking learning Navy ranks. We thought it would be about like the Marines since they were all the same at one time...we were wrong.As you can see E-1 through E-3 is whatever man, that is Jen's creative way of saying that could be anything. They have different ranks for different jobs they are in, crazy isn't it? So we decided it would be easier to Just learn E-4 and above - after all not every soldier can be perfect.
Sorry to anyone that may be insulted by the fun little jabs I am throwing at other branches. And I missed some branches, I'm sure I will get them another time.

10 comments:

Ness said...

Just like a soldier, you go the extra mile. How phenomenal you are taking the time to learn the various ranks of the other branches. My son was here this weekend and trying to get his mom straight on some Army stuff and I think he has a hopeless, but interested student. I changed my desktop to reflect his Field Artillery crest...I'm getting there. You take care and stay safe. You are in my daily prayers. If there is anything you or your comrads need, let me know and I'll ship a box off to you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that would be stressful...but how interesting for all of out here.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing this. I have never known what the different ranks were. Still confused, but very interesting.. I wish you the best and thank you for serving our country!

bichonpawz said...

Thanks for all you're doing over there and take care!!

Anonymous said...

My father was an x-ray technician in the navy and he said once he was shaving a marine's chest to prepare him to get his broken ribs taped up after a shore leave brawl (the guy was still drunk) and ... oops... he shaved one of his nipples off. He knows that somewhere out there is a really big, mean, one-nippled marine looking for him. :-) Love you !

dlyn said...

I am sure that Lauren will never shave off any nipples - they have a lot of training about that now I think.

Anonymous said...

For the record, the E1-E3 ranks for the Navy are Seaman/Airman/Fireman Recruit, Seaman/Airman/Fireman Apprentice, and Seaman/Airman/Fireman without a tag. I wanted to post that in case anyone else was curious. Lovely artwork by the way!

Anonymous said...

Well ACTUALLY, Steve, you forgot about Hospitalman, which are white stripes, and Constructionman, which have blue stripes. Why not just stick your branch and the world won't end. I ~promise~. Also, Lauren, you forgot E-9 for the Navy. Master Chief Petty Officer. Which is the same as the E-8, but with TWO stars instead of just one. And when addressing them, it usually goes "Chief", "Senior", and then "Mas-Chief" jammed together fast like you Army folk do with "Sarnt" So-And-So. There's my fourteen cents. -Dalton-

Tonjia said...

ahhh rank identification! you go girls!

I am an ER nurse, I can kind of identify with your world. Although you have a lot more trauma and I have a lot more drunks. LMAO

Keep up the good work!

Markus Latva-aho said...

I'm so with you. We also had those navyrank-dudes going through our base sometimes. It was just impossible to learn their ranks:D We usually just tried to avoid their bigger officers, so didn't have to properly salute or anything.